Wendy's House

Thursday, July 27, 2006

"I Don't Do Church!"

I can hardly believe it, but Kev and I have been at Poplar on placement for nearly a month now. We've been made to feel so welcome, that it feels as if we've been there much longer. One of the things I've loved has been the variety each day. For someone like me who's a bit obsessive about plans and lists, I'm rapidly realising that it's almost impossible to plan my day too carefully because something is bound to change it!

I'm already beginning to collect together a bank of memories and experiences from this placement, but I think one of my favourite moments has to be the quote "I don't do Church" from one of the regulars in the cafe.

Each day, with his mug of tea and egg and bacon sandwich this person sits and discusses the rights and wrongs of the world with fellow tea drinkers. This all happens against the backdrop of children playing in the "Parents and Toddlers" group, bacon sandwiches being ordered by the volunteers in the Charity Shop and the sounds of Martha and Robert preparing the food for the luncheon club. Some of his fellow tea drinkers were on the Poplar Jolly to Clacton-on-Sea or part of the congregation in the previous Sunday's meeting. And in the middle of all this, there is my friend announcing that he doesn't do Church!

It's been a long time since I believed a Church was a merely a building - I thought I understood that a Church is made of people. What I am beginning to understand more fully is just how diverse these people might be, and the range of ways in which these people are brought together.

Thank goodness that "doing Church" is about community and that God wants us to be the people we were created to be within that community. The more I think about it, the more I want any Church I am part of to be a community where people feel they can belong as themselves, so that "doing" Church becomes "being" Church.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

If the Salvation Army wasn't around then i would probably have to say i wouldn't do church.

This is what i love about Poplar Core:

Our cross on the wall is made of a few pieces of paper, it is not a solid gold audiment. It't what the symbol represents that means something. St. Pauls Cathedral on the other hand is plated in gold to make it look "nice". Doesn't the church promote charity and not greed. How many people could have been lifted out of poverty with the money spent on that gold. Ain't that what God wants.

Our church is not just a building where people go on Sunday. It is a community open for those who wish to join.

Our church does not dictate what people should believe, it gives people the choice (so i think). I've been to many other churches who preach very biased opinions and give people 2 options:
believe everything they say or go to hell. Ain't that why church numbers are declining.

Our church has guys like Wendy and Kevin making it as welcoming as possible.

Our church is more than just a building!

See you Sunday! :0)

5:54 AM  
Blogger Rhonda Hayes said...

The more I think about it, the more I realise that I don't do church either!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Keeley said...

I cant wait for you knew posts i no you are on HOLIDAY LOL. I hope you find time to post

3:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah YEAH? said...

i hope u find the time too!!!

hope your having a great holiday!

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home